Tuesday 28 May 2013

Tula Pink

Last week the new book Tula Pink`s city sampler, 100 modern quilt blocks arrived and I signed up to join the group attempting these blocks.   Well yesterday I did the first 3, they are only 6" finished,   thought that is great only small blocks but then I realised I would be working with very narrow strips,     not to be put off I cut out the first one and put it together,   my cutting skills are still not fine tuned and as you can see the block is a bit off balance to say the least.
 The blocks have no names just numbers.  Block 2 tuned out a little better, like the colour way I have used here.This is still not cut accurately enough.


Now for block 3, was quite shuffed with myself re the central piece, I know it is not cut out to fit accurately but at least I tried!


As mentioned there are 100 blocks in total and I think I am meant to be doing 3 a week. There is a web site they are meant to be posted to but have not worked it out yet, have emailed for info, fingers crossed someone will get back to me.  I am disappointed with my attempts as I thought I was cutting accurately but obviously was not,   any tips I would take on board and would love to have please.

I have also signed up to do the vomit quilt and swapping squares with others through Pippa`s patch blog. Have said I will swap with 5 others and cut out the 49 squares for each swapper yesterday. I had some jelly rolls I used as they were the right width so now waiting to hear where to send them later in june.

Off this morning into Leeds to look at and hopefully buy another digital camera as mine is draining the battery and also have to force the shutters to open. They say it is cheaper to replace than have repaired. Plan to get a Canon,  nothing too pricey but will hopefully do the job and they will sell a spare rechargable battery reduced with the camera so when I go to quilt shows I will have masses of battery life,  will need it for the big show at the NEC in august, that is if I can get close to take any with all the crowds they get there.

Will try and do some more quilt photos either later today or tomorrow as one or two of your have requested "more please"


13 comments:

Nana said...

I am also always open for more quilts ;-)

Canon is a good brand, don´t forget to buy an extra accu for it.

Your blocks are all pretty. To be honest: I am not good in cutting myself. As hard as I always try, the ruler always "walks" on the fabric, no matter how slow I move the cutter or how hard I press my hand or whatever. So you´re not alone!

Nana

Pippas quilts said...

Cutting up small strips is always harder. If the ruler is moving about I have put spongie stickers on the bottom. They are meant for putting on the bottom of items you do not want to scratch your furniture with. You can get them in the pound shop.

Mary Ellen said...

Years ago our guild brought in Sally Collins, author of "Precision Machine Piecing" for a lecture and workshop. My cutting and piecing abilities were definitely novice quality at the time. Her tips and techniques ratcheted my skills up quickly. I will publish a photo on my blog of the small 3.5" basket block we made in her class. Took all day, but we learned the techniques, Instantly all my patchwork improved. You need to measure accurately, cut accurately, and sew accurately. Check to make sure that your seam allowance is precisely a quarter inch. Here is a tutorial on how to do it: http://www.connectingthreads.com/tutorials/How_to_Sew_an_Accurate_Quarter_Inch_Seam_Allowance__D95.html. The red Collins seam allowance guide is wonderful if you can get your hands on one.

Stitching Lady said...

I am admiring your will to do 3 blocks a week - and you know, they are alright. You wont see the inaccuracy lateron.
Though, cutting exactly is the most important. Look twice and cut once. I love especially the secon block in greenish colours. And if you do some ironing you can correct a few millimeters, too. Thank you for commenting my little red bag, there will be changes i a few weeks, when we come back. This is coming from Hungary with many greetings. .

DIAN said...

I love these blocks and can see you are improving as you go along. If you are doing 3 a week then you will soon be an expert. Thanks for visiting my blog - I really appreciate it. Finding time to visit and comment can be a challenge. I have Ally staying again (unexpectedly) she is great company for me.

Liz Eph said...

Hiya Margaret, at last I've found you again. I've been having difficulties. Love your choice of fabrics.

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

It easier said than done lining them all up isn't it! I think you are doing really well, and I love the blue one! :) x

Annet said...

You're quite busy with all your plans!

Gaia said...

I do not know lot about quilting yet, but I do like the blue one with the flower, it adds variety.

Jillian said...

I think I need Sally Collins too! I have never mastered accurate cutting - one reason I don't quilt.I think Block 2 is the most interesting, but I love the colours in Block 1. You are so persistent and analytical - you'll get there.

Anonymous said...

I like your three blocks. I suspect there will be a way to make them all go together in the end.

Queeniepatch said...

Your blocks are looking OK to me. Accurate cutting and stitching is of course important but any small misalignment can be corrected with ironing and quilting.
Three blocks a week + cq block + TAST + Hardanger + Tatting + blogging; you sure are busy.
Good luck with your camera shopping, and if you have time, please add some more quilts on your blog!
All the best.

Anonymous said...

Your blocks look lovely Margaret, I wouldn't worry to much about the accuracy they look fine to me, like queenie says with ironing and quilting you wouldn't notice anyway. The main thing is enjoy what you are doing!