Saturday 28 December 2013

craziness

Well it is finished    nearly,  I have just to attach the bit on the back for hanging it but needed to ask a friend how to do that so  I  will attach it later today, will then have to buy the dowling to hang it.
It has been fun doing this challenge and have signed up to do it next year too,. Helen wants one done in various pink fabrics with stitching in pinks and greys,  tried to dye some thread the other day but it did not work so will have to try and try again till I get it right. I use silk paint and just trickle it on but when I put the grey on and them wanted to have pink in the same piece it turned it all a purple shade.


I quite like the dark green binding,  was going to use an orange spotted one but had a change of heart.
The colours are not looking true on this photo, they are a bit louder than they look,   think is is probably better on the photo than in  real life. Not sure if I will hang it anywhere, will need to take something down and as it is my first finished patchwork it might look a bit odd in the living room with all the hardanger pictures I have done,    maybe I will make some of the pictures into cushions as they are about the right size but I am already overwhelmed with cushions,   will give it all some thought .



We had our Christmas meal yesterday due to Helen`s shift work, it went well, Helen went and collected Catherine and Sal, having dropped off  Alfie the cat  (who enjoyed more than his fair share of turkey) on her way over so he could share the day with us. I had bought a turkey crown which they seemed to enjoy,  lots of hard work but over for another year. I always make a pineapple cream pudding which Mum always made and have a little to enjoy today but to be honest I still feel rather full!    The girls departed at 6pm and it was not long before I was tucked up in bed .
Maybe one of the girls will offer to do the meal next year,   I can live in hope! Well  lets face it they are old enough,  41 and 37 and Sal is 15

26 comments:

Nana said...

This looks so pretty and to me it tell´s a story with each piece because each one is so different.

Nana

Jillian said...

I think your crazy panel looks fabulous. The colours work so well together and make a harmonious whole. Congratulations. Hope you find somewhere to hang it. I'd make some of the hardanger into bags - but I'm a bag lady from way back!
So glad your Christmas went well.

Grit said...

Looks absolute fantastic.

Klaudia said...

Wonderful work!

(◔‿◔) Liebe Grüße Klaudia (◔‿◔)

marianne harmann said...

Liebe Margaret,
der Crazy-Quilt ist wunderschön geworden. Ich finde alle Farben passen sehr gut zusammen. Du findest sicher einen schönen Platz dafür.
LG Marianne

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Love you Crazy Patchwork wall Hanging. It is truly lovely. Your stitching is beautiful. I would like to wish you and your family a Very Happy and Healthy New Year. Hugs Judy

Boud said...

What size is this great new piece? I wonder if it's a good hallway size, so that it gets seen every time someone passes.

Happy New Year to you all!

Susan In Texas said...

I agree with the others that you need to display your green masterpiece. It turned out so well; I love the dark green border too. The hallway might be a good choice, or perhaps there is a wall of the correct size in your bathroom or entryway? You do seem to have lots of cushions already.

I know what you mean about crochet. I knew how to do all the stitches, but some of the pattern instructions needed interpretation. That's where Grandma's help was very valuable; she knows it all!

Take care,
Susan in Texas

Margo Brooks said...

It is gorgeous all sewn together. I love the green!

Annet said...

Congrats on finishing your quilt, it's a beauty!

Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

Congrats on the finish!

deanna7trees said...

looks beautiful to me. i'm sure it will look amazing hanging on the wall. and as far as Christmas dinner...you just need to put it out there with the statement..."next year dinner at your house".

Lady Locust said...

That turned out great! How fun.

Monica said...

It looks great, Margaret! Congratulations on the finish, and on time too!

Pippas quilts said...

It looks great all together as a hanging hope you find somewhere to hang it. Say it is someone elses turn to cook the Christmas dinner, you have done your share.

Vicki Miller said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Also, when you were painting the thread, did you dry the first colour before you added the second? It might help.

Andrea Johnson said...

Oh my that is absolutely stunning and original and it it were mine I would hang it and love looking at it every day. Happy New Year from Minnesota.

Raewyn said...

Wow, your 'craziness' is awesome!!! Hope you can find somewhere for it to live, for everyone to see! Good to hear your Christmas family time went well, I think it is just as well it only happens once a year with all that food!! Maybe one of the girls will read your blog and offer to do Chrismtas dinner next year!

Sparklyjools said...

Lovely Margaret, and great to know you had such a nice family Christmas! Happy New Year, and Happy Stitching!x

Anita said...

Congratulations on the finish Margaret !
Wishing you a very happy,healthy and prosperous new year!

Bev said...

Gorgeous! I love it! Let me know if you need my address to ship it to. I'll hang it in a place of honor! XO and Happy New Year! Bev

Séverine said...

Congratulations!! Your crazy is wonderful ,
Happy New Year !!!

Jane said...

It looks brilliant, and a great way to look back at the year

Anonymous said...

Well done on your finished wall hanging, I hope that you find somewhere to hang it as it deserves a place on the wall. You sound as if your belated Christmas was a good family day so I will wish you a very happy New Year with lots of sewing and blogging to look forward to in the New Year!!

Barbara C said...

Congratulations on finishing your crazy quilt! The colors blend beautifully and your stitching is very nice. Happy New Year to you and yours.

Margo Brooks said...

Your cutwork makes me giddy it is so beautiful. And I LOVE that quilt! It reminds me of a Picasso.