Sunday 13 April 2014

Sassy triangles, bee blessed blocks, hexie block

I cannot believe I had not written on my blog since march      well I will make up for it now.

I was thrilled when my crazy wall hanging from 2013 was shown in the crazy quilt gatherings spring magazine   fame at last!    Maybe I will put it into the Harrogate quilt show in the autumn. Here is a photo for those of you who might not have seen it.



The block for bee blessed for april was the asterisk block which we were asked to do 2 ways,  well of curse I always do as I am told so here is the pair I did. I always look forward to seeing what the next block will be,   so gald I stumbled onto this charity BOM



I also made a mini block to add to my collection of trial blocks.

I am now doing the triangle challenge with the Sassy quilter.  We had to cut out 204  60 degree triangles and last week sew them into 12 rows with 17 in each row.   Today    or maybe tomorrow I have to join all the rows together, hopefully getting most of them matching.  here are the 12 rows prior to joining.

Next week week will complete the quilt,  finished size should be 49.5" x 65"   I will be straightening the sides, having read how to bind them unstraightened realise that is just too complicated and fiddly for me.

The batting /wadding should arrive early this week for the aiming for accuracy quilt so then I will think about how to quilt it,  whether by hand or machine.

I attended the second meeting of the Leeds Modern quilters group yesterday, there were about 20 of us there,  I am sure it is going to be a great group to belong to and not far from home either. I took the aiming for accuracy quilt and they suggested I just quilted in in diagonal lines by machine,   will ponder on this as not sure if I will manage it on the machine    how I would love one with a bigger arm space. I will still go to the Yorkshire Modern quilters, it is further away but do so enjoy meeting up with the ladies.I missed it last month as I was down at the Sewing for Pleasure show and will miss May as I am going to the Malvern quilt show,  I go via London and stay with Cheryl and we then go to the  show together, returning home sunday evening,    real quality time with my great friend who is a wonderful quilter,    along with many other stitching talents.

Also finished the hexie block for april,  it is a basket, not mounted onto fabric yet, will wait till the end of the year before I decide what fabric to use.



well that will do for now,  have one or to other things to share but I do not want to send you all to sleep.

Many thanks for your encouragement and comments etc I feel I know so many of you and count you as real friends.

37 comments:

Starr White said...

Sweet, clever, talented, and funny - you were destined to be famous!! Congratulations!

Mary Ellen said...

Love, love, love your crazy quilt. By all means, enter it into the quilt show. Your basket block is very nice. I will be interested in seeing what you choose for a background. I am happy for you that you have found some quilters to hang out with. They are the best people!

Nana said...

Your works are always colourful and very pretty, always joy to the eyes.

Nana

Sparklyjools said...

Oh, many, many congratulations on being featured - and you go for it! Enter your quilt - there is not enough crazy quilting around and you did such a great job.x

Bev said...

Wow! Now I can say I know someone who's famous! Congrats! It's a HUGE honor to have a published quilt! Way to go! It's a gorgeous quilt! XO

Annet said...

You were just too busy to write at your blog! Love the hexie basket.

Turid said...

What a lovely fabric basket. I've just made a few hexies for it. Will do the rest next week.

Boud said...

Very glad you're blogging again. You're so faithful to other people's blogs, following and commenting, that it's nice to have a place to see what you're up to, too. Lovely quilting.

deanna7trees said...

your crazy quilt deserved to be recognized. love seeing it here again. you sure keep busy traveling from one place to another. i enjoy reading what you are up to.

CATHY DANIEL said...

I love them all but especially your hexie basket - had a bit of a hexie phase just recently, so no surprise there. xCathy

Yorkshire Quilter said...

Nice to see you again yesterday Margaret, and yes you should enter your crazy quilt in the Harrogate show - it fits in well with the "Vintage Charm" theme!

Cattinka said...

I see why you haven´t written anything on the blog lately, you have been very busy with your sewing.
Nice to see what you have been up to.
KATRIN W.

Gaia said...

All the blocks are lovely, I do like the hexagon block the most. Also, congratulations on the crazy quilt!!

Queeniepatch said...

No wonder you did not have time to blog, with all the quilting you have been doing. You really have come a long way. Each of your work is great. Congratulations of your cq fame. Have a great time with Cheryl at Malvern.

Dianne said...

I was going to say the same as Queenie, you have had a very busy time and achieved lots of beautiful things. Love the x block, you did a fine job of it. Congrats on having your wonderful crazy quilt recognized. Cutting all those triangles would freak me out!! Yours looks bright and cheery.

Celtic Thistle said...

Gosh you have been a busy bee Margaret, and a successful one too! Congratulations on having your crazy quilt included in the magazine, it is a well deserved honour.

Jane said...

You have been busy, love the hexagon basket

Jillian said...

So glad your crazy quilt got the attention,it deserves. Well done! Your groups sound like a lot of fun - somgood to have friends with similar interests.

Wendy said...

glad to see you have been keeping busy. Well done on getting your quilt published! yes, you should definitely put it in the show!

Adventurous Quilter said...

That wall hanging is spectacular! Not a wonder it got published. I love those asterisk blocks, it is always so fun to do a block in two ways one the negative of the other. Your triangle quilt top is gorgeous too, I love the happy, scrappy colors, I love the QAL I will be making more triangle tops for sure!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful things you have been doing! Good to know that while you weren't posting, you were stilling finding stitching time! LOVE the CQ, as you know.

Suztats said...

Congratulations on your quilt being shown in Crazy Quilt Gatherings! Yay!
You've been very busy creating some wonderful quilty magic. Nicely done.

Unknown said...

The hexie basket Margaret is amazing I love the colors and I am sure you will find a fabric which will complement it .
And looking forward to see the pictures of your quilt at Harrogate , I still dream I may be having some time to come and maybe meet you there.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Wow....Margaret you are working so hard. Love all your projects and your basket is so cute.

Anonymous said...

Lots of beautiful work going on Margaret. Your Crazy Quilt looks fabulous and I love the hexies. You are doing an amazing job. Off to do my Be Blessed Blocks. Thanks for the inspiration. Marie x

motidana said...

Lovely crazy quilt you have made . The shades of green gives it such a spring like feeling . Your triangle blocks and Be Blessed blocks are beautiful too .

Séverine said...

All your works are wonderful, I love the colors of your triangle quilt and your hexy basket is beautiful.

Anita said...

Congratulations Margaret! You and your beautiful crazy quilt deserve it.love your vibrant triangle quilt already.It would have been amazing to meet and share ideas with so many wonderful quilters ,no wonder you didn't have time to blog.

Mosaic Magpie said...

My goodness how very busy you have been! I love that hexie basket!!! The triangle quilt makes me dizzy to think of cutting out all those triangles and then sewing them up and matching all those points!!!
Nice job! Glad you found some local stitching groups to meet with, those are always so fun and you learn so much!
xo,
Deb

Raewyn said...

Wow, even though you haven't been blogging you sure haven't slowed down! You have a busy timetable with shows and meetings to attend :-) Love your crazy quilt - congratulations on it being published! Your other blocks are looking good to - the hexagon basket is very cute.

Anonymous said...

Wow you have a lot to show us and what a delight they all are. Congratulations on getting your quilt in the magazine and why not enter it into the show!

Radka said...

Your Crazy Wall hanging looks great!

Vicki Miller said...

Congratulations, your crazy quilt looks wonderful!

shirley said...

Wow congratulations Margaret on having your lovely cq published you deserve the honour i do like your hex basket cutting all those triangles would freak me out you have the patience of Job

shirley said...

Wow congratulations Margaret on having your lovely cq published you deserve the honour i do like your hex basket cutting all those triangles would freak me out you have the patience of Job

shirley said...

Wow congratulations Margaret on having your lovely cq published you deserve the honour i do like your hex basket cutting all those triangles would freak me out you have the patience of Job

shirley said...

Wow congratulations Margaret on having your lovely cq published you deserve the honour i do like your hex basket cutting all those triangles would freak me out you have the patience of Job