Wednesday 16 October 2013

birth sampler cutting and more cutting

Being one of 5 children all but one having had children there are now new arrivals coming with another generation.My sister has 3 grandchildren,   17, 15 and 13 years old and I have one Sal who is 15 then no more until last year when 2 of my brothers` sons became grandfathers for the first time  I made samplers for each of the new babies. these were given unframed so they could decide whether they wanted mounts and choose the frames they liked rather than me picking them for them..  In august my youngest brother became a grandfather for the second time in 18 months so another sampler was required, this I have stitched over the last couple of days and my new camera managed to take a reasonable photo of it, the previous 2 were taken with my previous camera but they did not come out well enough to share with you all.  So here is the latest one stitched for Peter

sorry the picture is not as good as I thought

the words at the bottom read 

God bless this child
with all thy kindness.
Guide this child with tender love.
show this child
the ways of goodness
Fill his little heart with love.

I am not sure where I found this little prayer, I have quite a few I have written in a book that I browse through and add to when I can and thought this was just right for this latest dear little boy.

I have recently had a photo emailed to me of the one done for Molly last year, here it is




unfortunately it has caught the shadow of my brother, have asked him to try and get a better one as he and Sue my SIL are up in Scotland visiting their son and family this week.  The words at the top read 
   
someone special, someone dear
someone new to love is here 

and on the bottom i
I have put

cherish yesterday
dream tomorrow
live today

and

during your life I wish you two things
one is roots and the other wings

unfortunately I have no photo of the other one I did last year but it had the same sayings on as Molly`s but was done in blue as it was for a boy.


The sampler is now in the post along with a little bag for Molly I had stitched some time ago


I have made quite a few of these for charities etc and they always seem popular. I have a few hanging on  various little chests of drawers that I have  and I keep pieces of jewellery in etc. I have a few larger ones too that are hanging from the curtain pole.


Today I took the bull by the horns and cut out 200 2" wide by 6.5" long pieces and 200 2" by 9.5" long pieces for the sashings around the individual Tula blocks,  it was not as daunting as I thought it would be so tomorrow I will start attaching them all.


27 comments:

Annet said...

What a pretty sampler! Looking forward to see the sashings added to your blocks.

Monica said...

Good for you for getting all that sashing cut! The cutting always seems to slow me down. Your samplers are very pretty - how many have you done in total now?

Sparklyjools said...

Lovely samplers! Like you I do one for all our new arrivals, another great niece or nephew is due soon! Your little stitched hanging pockets are super too, what a nice idea.

Nana said...

This is so sweet and so caring... the embroidery is simply awesome.

Nana

Createology said...

You dear have created quite the treasured heirloom in these birth samplers. They are precious. Your little stitched bag is wonderful. Sashings are something I have yet to do. Creative Stitching Bliss...

Gaia said...

I really like those samplers, so pretty. Did you stitch the lettering too ?

Grit said...

These sampler are so lovely.

Queeniepatch said...

Your work is always so beautiful, Margaret. I love the words you have chosen, too.
Looking forward to seeing the sashing on your blocks. Have fun!

Jane said...

Isn't it lovely when you see how your work is appreciated. These will be treasured in the years to come

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

What a lovely gift to give! :) x

Vicki Miller said...

These are so lovely and so important. I love the little bags as well. you certainly are a stitcher!

Margo Brooks said...

Lovely! What special gifts, especially because you choose your own sayings.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Margaret, The saying and the stitching gifts are very lovely.. Hugs Judy

The Inside Stori said...

What special gifts and memories you've created!!

Anonymous said...

Yay on the sashings being ready to go! The samplers are great, and if someone clicks on the picture, it comes up larger and can be read.

Suztats said...

Oh, my! Lovely samplers to be cherished.
You've been busy cutting 400 pattern pieces. wow.

Unknown said...

they are very nice and thoughtful Margaret.

Raewyn said...

Beautiful samplers Margaret, how lucky the children are to have you stitch them for them all. And such a special touch with your verses on them. The litle bag is also very cute. It sounds like you have some sewing ahead of you - have fun!!

shirley said...

These samplers are wonderful treasured heirlooms. Your verses are lovely.

Mosaic Magpie said...

I adore the "roots and wings" saying...what special keepsakes you have stitched.
xo,
Deb

Stitching Lady said...

Wonderful sampler, Margaret. Absolutely thoughtful and beautfifully worked. The little prayers and sayings are very very dear. I like also the little "bag" hanging on the wardrobe. Wonderful idea and nice to send it with the sampler.

Anonymous said...

You have made beautiful samplers Margaret, I always like the personal touch to gifts, they are made from the heart and are something that your family can keep and treasure!

Mary Ellen said...

Beautiful stitchery! I know these will be treasured and handed down as family heirlooms.

Sarah said...

Wow Margaret your stitching is so beautiful. I love the drawn thread work too. Very special gifts for new arrivals!

Jillian said...

Love th bags and birth samplers. I think the photo with the shadow is artistic!

Wendy said...

these are so lovely, I bet they are cherished

Mrs. B. said...

What lovely samplers. The prayers and sentiments are so sweet. I meant to make some for my own kids but never got around to it, but this has inspired me to have another go.