Saturday 23 August 2014

Festival of quilts

I am finally getting round to sharing some photos of the amazing quilt show I went to in Birmingham.   Over 1000 quilts and 300 traders,  although I was there 3 days I did not see all the quilts or various demonstrations that were happening but had a wonderful time.  It was lovely to meet up with Queenie from Japan who I met last year and I also got to meet Benta another blogger and some of her friends who also blog.  Cheryl my friend from London was there too and she had a quilt in the show but unfortunately the 3 photos I took have her on them so must make sure she does not mind me sharing her as well as her quilt with you, I am sure she will have a photo that she can email me and I can add it on a future blog.

There was a lovely display of quilts made for the cat protection charity that were being sold to raise funds,  here is a collage of them all.



Now for some of the winning quilts.

this was in the young quilter/embroiderer  12-16 age group,  done by Millie Ayres,  think we will be seeing lots more by this young lady



best in show winner,   completely reversible,  meant to go back and get a photo of the other side as they were going to turn it round but did not have time.   Sorry did not make a note of the number of this one  and cannot find it in the catalogue



how amazing is this,   a working grandfather clock that one the quilt creations award,   made by Kate Crossley from Oxford,   this really had the crowds around it     so beautifully made and was working, keeping perfect time.  Not sure how it was transported,  thought maybe it was in sections but someone said no it was a whole piece,  brilliant,   you can tell I was in awe with this can`t you.

This is the winner of the pictorial quilt section,   created by Janneke de Vries-Bodzinga from the Netherlands using silk, hand dyed cotton and cotton.


  What a beauty this is,  winner of the tradition section and made by Phillippa Naylor from Beverley,    think this was a favourite of a lot of the visitors      a wonderful traditional quilt.



hope you enjoyed these,  will share some more in a few days.

31 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Such amazing quilts, but the clock is unbelievable. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Ellen said...

Looks like a great quilt show. Did you get to meet Bonnie Hunter?

Nana said...

Wow, lovely quilts and for sure I nned to visit your country next year!

Nana

Boud said...

Thanks so much for this post, Margie, and the great narrative to go with! I love virtual trips like this.

crafty cat corner said...

Wonderful quilts there, would have liked to see them, especially the clock.
Briony
x

deanna7trees said...

enjoyed seeing the quilts. is the grandfather clock made all out of fabric?

Gaia said...

What lovely selection of quilts...is the grandfather clock made with all material?

Jillian said...

Wow, Margaret, these are stunning. Thank you so much for sharing.

motidana said...

Beautiful quilts you got to see and you made it a lovely virtual tour for us too with your description and photos . Loved the grandfather clock . It`s amazing !

Rebecca in AK said...

Thank you for sharing these quilts! They are all so wonderful! I can see why everyone was looking at the clock!

Createology said...

I would be so overwhelmed with all of these incredible quilts. You couldn't possibly see everything in only three days. Thank you for sharing with us. Creative Quilt Bliss...

shirley said...

Thanks for sharing these wonderful creations. The clock is amazing. I loved the traditional quilt a deserved winner

Celtic Thistle said...

Amazing quilts, will definitely have to visit the Festival one year!

Queeniepatch said...

It was lovely meeting up with you again! Thank you for sharing a lot of quilts I did not photograph. The Best in Show was made by Ruth Parker from Wigan. You can read about the other winners here: http://www.thefestivalofquilts.co.uk/Content/Winners-2014/7_76/

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

They really are works of art! :) x

Pippas quilts said...

Thank you for sharing I really must get up there one year. Cannot imagine how big it is if you did not manage it all in three days it must be vast.

Mosaic Magpie said...

That Grandfather clock is so interesting, it would be neat to know how it was made. My favorite is that last photo!!!
Deb

Jen said...

Thank you Margaret for the quilt exhibition photos. Amazing quilts lovely to see. Great to be able to catch up with blogging friends.

Annet said...

Thanks for sharing these beauties with us!

QuiltSue said...

Some interesting looking things there, thanks for sharing with us.

Suztats said...

I enjoyed that, Margaret. Thank you.

Cattinka said...

You took nice pictures of beautiful quilts, the bunny is one of my favourites.
KATRIN W.

Jane said...

Looks like you enjoyed your visit, great variety in styles there

Anonymous said...

Nice to see pictures from the show, the clock is brilliant and I love the traditional quilt!

JennyPennyPoppy said...

All such wonderful and beautifully made quilts and so creative too. Thanks for sharing Margaret!

Radka said...

I think that is the reason I don't go to NEC, I don't think I have the stamina any more, LOL!
I am sure you saw some great quilts, just as well we can take pictures; I usually forget by the time I get home from any show,what I have seen!
Thanks for taking the time to show your pictures :-)
xx

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Lovly to see some if those again, and it was lovely to meet your there

Anita said...

I really enjoyed seeing these beautiful quilts.Thnaks for sharing.The grandfather clock quilt is interesting..

Connie said...

Hello Margaret, I am delighted to have found your blog. This show was lovely but what I love is your crazy quilt blocks. I am truly excited about them and want to be here as a follower and see this quilt through to it's finished glory. I was just talking with a friend yesterday about how I would love to make one. They are an art that you do not see much anymore. I am your newest follower and I do hope that you will follow me back. Making friends with inspiring blogging sisters is a passion with me. We can live anywhere in the world and yet me kindred spirits through our creativity.
Have a marvelous day.
Connie :)

Anonymous said...

I did enjoy them. I can't imagine trying to see and appreciate 1000 quilts! Amazing.

The Inside Stori said...

Awesome......what a fabulous experience....tx's for sharing.