Tuesday 3 January 2017

Quilting, cats, Richard update

Beated happy new year to you all.

Now for the wonderful news,  Richard is now out of intensive care following his heart attack. It will be 7 weeks tomorrow  since he had the heart attack and fractured his skull.  We have had some very bad moments and there were times when the Doctors warned us he would not make it but now he is recovering,  has been off the ventilator for over 10 days and breathing on his own. Has fought off 2 chest infections, pneumonia, sepsis and a blood clot in one of his lungs so all in all one tough guy.  Now he needs to start building himself up, is on mashed food but hopes to have proper food soon, still unable to walk as he has lost so much weight only been eating just over a week and is extremely weak,  . The brain is much better than expected and knows us but memory not back to normal,  asked me when Mum was coming to visit,  she passed away 10 years ago but  when reminded he remembered.Cannot remember anything that happened in the 2 weeks prior to the attack but we are very hopeful. Praise be I am sure the prayers so many of you supported us with have helped and saved his life.  Thankyou so much.  His youngest son has to return to the Dominican Republic where he is a teacher next monday   he will go back knowing that his Dad will be well cared for and improving daily.

Helen has 2 new feline friends  unfortubnately Alfie died suddenly on 26th november  we were so upset but now Charlie  and Teddy have come to live with her,  they are rescue brothers 18 months old and vert naughty!  " new quilts to be made but they are not top of the list.

                                                                   Alfie


                                                                   Charlie



                                                                             Teddy



Now for some quilting   I have got the berry cross quilt to the flimsy stage and very pleased with it.



I also made a chair runner a couple of days ago,  I was given a large office chair on wheels  it is ideal for using at the sewing machine cabinet but oh so cold to sit on as it is leather so made the runner, quite pleased as I picked the blocks and worked out sizing etc and even finished it,  so nice to sit on! A couple of years ago would never have dreamt I could have made something without full instructions so feel I have progressed with my quilting.


At the novemeber Leeds MQG I started another urban neighbour hood quilt as I put it together wrong on the first one,  it is now in the flimsy stage, Made from a jelly roll and black fabric for the contrast.


here is the previous one   still a flimsy it might be wrong but I prefer it to the other one


Also completed was the last 2 blocks for the Blossom Hearts BOM
bejewelled

                                                                 nip and tuck



                                                               all 24 blocks  not joined together yet



I think that is enough for now!
Oh yes   facebook  many of you have requested me on facebook but though I do follow some private quilting groups I do not do the facebook thing,  nothing personal but that is why I have not added you   all too complicated for me,  still struggling trying to understand insatgram.

37 comments:

Nana said...

The tops look wonderful and too bad to hear abouth the red cat. I love red cats.

Well, Richard must be a strong man with a big will to live. Good! Blessings for his recovery.

Nana

Gaia said...

A very happy new year ..wishing Richard a speedy recovery.
You have many new projects to work on.

Monica said...

That is wonderful news about Richard. His will to live is amazing! Sorry about poor Alfie, he did not seem that old to me. And I can see the two new ones are almost feral! I hope they will settle in, and that Helen is doing well too.

Your blue-green flimsy on the bed there is fabulous! Your best one so far. It's nice to look back and see how far we've come! Happy new year!

Crystal_235 said...

Happy New Year! Wonderful to hear that Richard is getting better.

Stitching Lady said...

Such good news about your brother, Margaret. I am happy for you and your family. And the cats are so so sweet, black and white. I hope to see them often.
And again so many quilts in process. you seem to be sitting at the machine from dawn to midnight. Have a good year 2017 - together with all of us - the readers of your blog. 🙋🏻

Lady Locust said...

That is way too much excitement. Glad to hear he is on the road to recovery. Your quilts look fabulous! Oh yes, and they might be naughty kitties but at least they are cute😉

crafty cat corner said...

Another lot of beautiful stitching Margie, and those kitties look adorable. Anniversary post coming up tomorrow.
Briony
x

Createology said...

Margaret Dear what a blessing to have your brother doing much better. Prayers will continue along with Healing Energy. Cats are such curious critters and I adore them. Your quilting has truly come a long way from when you began. I love your clever chair runner and Congratulations on making it from scratch without a pattern! May you have a Wonderful 2017.

Rebecca in AK said...

Wonderful news about your brother!! Helen's new kitties are sure cute. And you have been really busy quilting. Quilt for your chair, great idea!

Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

Wow Margaret, that is such great news about your brother. He really has come such a long way despite all of those roadblocks. Your blocks all look lovely too. Wishing you all the best in 2017.

The Inside Stori said...

Your news sounds very positive; the health and happiness of all family members is so vital to each and every one of us. Warm wishes for 2017!

Staci said...

Such good, good, good news! Wonderful!
And your quilts are wonderful, too. I love your new flimsy and your chair runner is a great idea.
You did a lovely job on it!
Happy New Year, my bloggy friend.

Deepa said...

So sorry to hear about Alfie :(
Great that your brother is recovering, I hope he gets better in the days to come.
The past few days have been tough for you, I hope the coming year turns out to be better. Happy New Year!!

Deepa

Mary Ellen said...

What a great way to start the new year. The news about Richard is fantastic. All of your quilting is just wonderful. I remember when you first started out and you really have made wonderful progress. The cats are all beautiful. Sorry about Alfie but the new kitties look really cute even if they are naughty.

Raewyn said...

Gosh Margaret, I'm sorry I missed your previous post, I did not realise your brother was not well...although it sounds like he might be on the mend now so I'm glad for that. Your quilt making is amazing... I also remember when you were new to quilting and you have come along in leaps and bounds! Great idea to make the runner for your chair :-) You have done heaps and they are all lovely. Happy New Year!!!

liniecat said...

So glad your brother seems to be pulling through, what an awful time you've all had worrying about him, hopefully the new year will bring continued slow an steady progress for him.
Sorry too about Alfie, but so glad the rescue brothers have found a loving home to help ease that pain of loss.
Leggy teenage cats are destined to be naughty LOL
You've made some wonderful things there, proof there is therapy in stitching no doubt!

Anonymous said...

I'm absolutely thrilled to hear about Richard's progress. I'm so happy, because I know how relieved you are. Your Berry Cross looks fabulous! Mine never got off the ground. =P A chair runner! Wow, what a great idea. It looks great, and no more cold buns! I like both of the urban neighborhood quilts, but I, too, prefer the older one. I don't know, with that pattern, how you can tell it's wrong. LOL

I still have Nip Tuck to do, but your blocks look great together. I look forward to seeing how you set that. Instagram is tricky for me. I'm still figuring out how to do things, like tag people.

Jane said...

that's great news. I've just had to make someone a cover for their leather chair :)

Pippas quilts said...

Morning Margaret So sorry to here about your brother the hospital he is in sounds amazing considering his progress with everything that has been thrown at him.
Now double trouble with the cats they cheer up anybodies life.
Well you sound be very proud of yourself love the chair cover. A quilt is never put together wrong if you like it when it is done. Remember Morecambe and Wise playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order.

SewLittleToSay said...

So glad to read of good news for your brother and you seem to have managed to fit in a lot sewing around hospital visits. Charlie and Teddy look to be proper handfuls - I'm sure they will get up to all sorts of mischief if they come to stay.

Séverine said...

Happy new Year, Margaret. I'm so glad to know your brother is getting better.
All your quilts are beautiful

Queeniepatch said...

I am so happy to hear of your brother's good recovery. The best cure is always LOVE!
You have certainly learned a lot about quilting and become a real star. Nice seat for the office chair. Well done. The flimsies are all colorful and nice.
Cute cats are often naughty!
Happy New Year.

PaulaB quilts said...

Great news about Richard. I'm happy for Helen with her new kittens, both black and white like my Popper. We will keep praying. Your Blossom Heart Quilts blocks turned out very nice. I only did about 20, but am satisfied. I like your second quilt with the blues best. My out do a great job with color. I'm finishing Sarah's quilt, almost done piecing the back. Doing the math to get size to match the,front was harder than the piecing. Starting on my purples this week, the Crayons quilt and the Folded Box blocks. Have a fun week!.

Sarah said...

Happy New Year and great happy news about your brother. I hope he continues to improve. Sorry to hear about Alfie but the two new kitties look like they will be fun to have around. Lovely quilts, you are very talented!

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

Happy new Year, Margaret and thank you for viting and the comments on my blog.
I'm so glad to know your brother is getting better.
Cute new cats, hope that they will bring you lot of joy.
You have been so busy, lovely quilts and quiltblocks, I love the idea of a chairrunner, very clever and very beautiful!
Liebe Grüße
Bente

Emily Shorette said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Happy New year Margaret, it is very good news about your brother, I hope that he can make a full recovery. So sad about Alfie he was such a character o your blog.
I am glad that you have had time to do your quilting, you have made some beauties, such lovely colour combinations.

Martha said...

I am so glad to hear that your brother is on the mend, thank goodness!!! Wonderful news!!! All your quilting projects are just so wonderful, I love seeing what you have been up to. Love love love the Berry Cross quilt, so lovely.

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

So pleased about Richard - fab news! What's "wrong" with the yellow and blue + quilt? I think it's lovely!

Xxx

SUSSEXMOUSE said...

It is good to hear that Richard is getting better. I am so sorry to hear about dear Alfie. I hope you have a wonderful New Year. Marion x

Jillian said...

So pleased to hear Richard's news - well done all of you. I hope the new year continues as well for you as it started. I really admire your chair cover - what a great idea and so beautiful. You have been amazingly productive. Love the dark flimsy.

Hanne said...

I hope Richard will continue to get better day by day!
I also hope the new year will bring you happiness!
Love your projects :-)

Jen said...

Happy news about Richard coming through everything and getting better, I know what this is like with just going through for 5 months with hubby. Richard will start to get his strength back soon and be his old self. Love the blocks and the quilt top projects keeping you busy.

Myricoud said...

Je découvre ton blog, tu réalises de bien jolis quilts

Myriam
http://myricoudpatch.over-blog.com

chitra said...

Very happy to know that your brother is getting better. Best wishes! lovely quilts.
Chitra

Crystal_235 said...

Happy news! I love all the quilts you shared.

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

Oh my goodness, what a full-on few months. Thank goodness for quilting to keep us focused! Thanks for sewing along x