Monday 22 July 2013

patchwork bag

Yesterday I decided to play around with some jelly roll strips and came up with two pieces I thought I could use on the front and back of a bag.   I joined 4 strips together but made some of the seams a bit wavy and some narrower than the 2.5".   I then used my 60 degree triangle and cut out 6 triangles from each piece. Joined together I was quite pleased with the effect and have stitched them onto 2 pieces of black cotton which I will attempt to make into a bag.  Need to get some nice fabric for the lining and thought I might try and attach a thin strip of batik fabric to each of the handles, unfortunately do not have much left now so it will be different than the strips I have used.    Any advice on bag construction would be welcome.  I am not sure what I attach the batting to, the main bag or the lining.  Think it will be just a straight up and down bag with a 2" square cut out of the 2 bottom corners to give it a bit of fullness,  have a few bag making books so should have a read about how to go about it.  Do I need to do any quilting on it,  if I quilt it must mean I attach the batting to the front and does that mean I need another piece of fabric under the batting,    not sure about all this as I said earlier advice would be very welcome.  I know you will not let me down!!  

As you can see they are not the same size but that will not matter, I will have the green one as the front of the bag.

17 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Here's a tutorial for a very simple bag: http://www.molliemakes.com/projects/tutorial-tuesday-20-minute-tote-bag/ and here's another: http://www.sewmamasew.com/2012/07/sewing-basics-patchwork-totes/

(I sure hope there are no warnings of bad things on these pages. I didn't get any warnings)

Cattinka said...

Oh, just go for it, it will come out good! I would just quilt the top fabric with the batting and have an extra fabric for the lining, but I am not an expert, thats just the way I would do it.
KATRIN W.

Createology said...

Hi Margie: This is my favorite tote bag how to video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7i6Wrl4rZ8
It makes the best sense and is very easy. Your triangles looks wonderful. I hope you post your finished bag photo. Blissful Sewing Dear...

Nana said...

Those blocks look wonderful and I look forward seeing the bag.

Nana

Queeniepatch said...

These blocks will look great on a bag. I suggest you layer the top with some muslin (cheese cloth or similar) and wadding in between. Then you can have the lining loose (unquilted).

Stitching Lady said...

These block look beautiful, wonderful colors. I line the front with the very thin batting and sew my quilting lines like that, the lining will be loose then. If this does not work on your machine you can use another thin fabric on the batting and then quilt.

Stitching Lady said...

continuation.... and sew the lining to the quilted top.

Anonymous said...

Wow! you have progressed well, your designes look good, I haven't made many bags but the ones that I did were made the same way as Queenie described, I am sure that you will work it out!

Margo Brooks said...

On the bags I have made I generally don't quilt them. If I do, I use a thin piece of muslin on the back. If not, I just baste the batting to the front, or sometimes use a bit of spray glue. Then I use the front and batting as one piece. That sews the batting in and keeps it from shifting.

This will be a pretty bag!

Sparklyjools said...

I would go for the separate lining plan too, just because I find it easier:) I like the autumn colours - makes me feel cool in this too hot weather!

Suztats said...

I like your large hexes--especially the green one! I think it'll be fab on a bag.

Annet said...

I think this will be a pretty bag!

Jillian said...

Great blocks and I see a lovely bag coming up. I usually make lining and outer bag separately and,if I am going to use batting put it on the outer part and treat it as one surface. I did make one quilted bag from Fabulous Bags to Stitch and Make by Jenny Rolfe in which lining and outer were quilted all together first then front and back stitched around the edges. I liked the effect but it was a bit out of my confidence zone.

Anita said...

Very pretty block . I normally attach the batting to the top , then add lining.But if I quilt then I use thin muslin as backing fabric , quilt all the 3 layers(top,batting & backing) and add a nice lining fabric ...This is the method which works for me..Hope this helps...

Lady Locust said...

How fun, I saw part of this post the other day, but my computer was pouting so would show me any pictures. Not sure what you have in mind in the way of a bag so no advise, but look forward to seeing what you come up with:) I don't think it will matter which side you call the front - both are interesting - maybe put the side showing that goes best with what you are wearing or your mood - red spicy & sassy, and greens calm and collected. okay, I'll stop now.
Have a beautiful day.
Smiles,
Lady Locust

WandarArt.Stitch said...

Thank you Margaret for your visit, have a golden heart.
Your works are always beautiful and interesting,
hugs .....

WandarArt.Stitch said...

Easy bag for you Margaret !

http://youtu.be/z5SWpZxllQ0

http://youtu.be/lc9lwHxq6po



http://youtu.be/dSoRBfGaWBw