Friday 11 January 2013

CQJP project

Toady I am posting the photos of my 12 blocks for the CQJP 2013 challenge.   I have made all 12 not sure if this was the right thing to do but have more fabric so can replace some if I do not like them. I was surprised how much fabric I had in my stash,  both bought fat quarters and fabric I had coloured myself with silk paints sponged onto the fabric, some were also sprinkled with rock salt to make the colours run.  I had bought some Egyptian cotton at the K & S show in 2011 and it coloured beautifully so the other day when I got the news email from Empress Mills and they had the cotton reduced from £12.50 to £8.50 a metre thought it was too good an offer to refuse and now waiting for a metre to pop through the letter box, it really is lovely quality.

The blocks have all been made with an assortment of greens and I plan to introduce other colours in the embellishment,   originally thought yellow and orange, maybe a bit of purple and red,   not sure will ponder some more.All suggestions greatly received.  Suppose I should start embellishing ,    maybe after the weekend.



The one below is the first one I am going to use.
 now I look at it again not so sure I like the colours, will have a go embellishing and see what happens,   maybe practise will make perfect.

Thought I would post a photo of my mahonia in flower, it is lovely to see a bit of colour in the garden at this time of year.


22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all the blocks Margaret, I will look forward to seeing your embellished blocks, this is always the best part.
I like your new added picture to your blog, how did you do it?

Unknown said...

looks very interesting!!

Judith said...

Looks like you're going to be busy Margaret! Your hardanger cushions look gorgeous all piled up on the bed.
Sorry I didn't make it over to Leeds before Christmas - maybe in a week or two if the weather doesn't get too bad? I'd really love to meet up with you if you can spare the time. Judith x

Queeniepatch said...

You are all set for the CQJP challenge, and I am sure you will have fun. Looking forward to your blog posts.
It is amazing how much fabric one can collect; my stash never seems to shrink however much I try to use up old pieces!
I, too, am most impressed by the collection of Hardanger cushions.
Did you design the patterns yourself?

Monica said...

First, your fabrics are all lovely, so no worries there. Second, even if you're not sure now, once you get them well covered with embroidery you will love them! I think that a lot of warm colours in the threads will look great on the cool background - yellow, oranges, reds, pinks and purples.

Annet said...

I like your greean blocks. Looking forward to your embellishments.

Marjolein said...

You have made a great start, Margaret!
Just start with an embellishment you are sure of.
The pile of cushions look so luxurious.
A part of me wants a lot of cushions too, but the practical side forbids it ;(

celle qui rêve said...

I'm sure your blocks will look great with embellishement. All these greens are refreshing, with warm colors, they will be bloomy.

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

I think a few yellows in there would be good, but then again, I've got spring on my brain! :) x

motidana said...

Loved the blocks Margaret . Waiting to seeing them embellished which will make them even more prettier . Cant wait to see outcome!

Pippas quilts said...

Your cushions are wonderful what a welcome site when you go to bed. well done you on getting all 12 blocks done they look great. It is amazing how the mahonia can flower like that in the middle of winter.

Createology said...

Preparing your 12 blocks is very smart. I see you are right in step with the Pantone 2013 color...Emerald. I will enjoy seeing your progress on each block. Love the pop of yellow in a Winter garden. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Love this color scheme and I think you are going to do fantastic with this project.

FlowerLady Lorraine

Claudia said...

WOW, Margie, great work! Love your colour scheme!
You are so lucky having such wonderful flowesr in yuor garden at this time. I'm back in cold and grey Austria. No hints of colour outside:-(

Starr White said...

I love the beautiful array of greens, Margaret. What a wonderful background for lots of beautiful flowery embellishments to grow there. I imagine it becoming a glorious garden in textiles. Can't wait to see it progress :)

Suztats said...

A great start, Margaret! I love greens, so I'm looking forward to see your progress.

Anne said...

Hello, Margie, Dear! I've come to your blog from the blog of one of my sweet commenters ~ you know how that goes ~ :) ~ Now following you!
So nice to "meet" you!
Hugs,
Anne

shirley said...

I love the colour scheme too Margaret, I am really looking forward to your embellishments.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your hardanger cushions look fabulous! What a beautiful array. Your colour scheme for your blocks look great and I'm definitely looking fwd to seeing your embellishments. Oh how lovely to have a beautiful flower in bloom. We just received 15cm of more snow and today's high was -22Celsius.

J Honda said...

very well done! you are flying!

Melissa said...

Oooooo I love green! It is a great foundation color! I always think garden so the rainbow goes with green! ;-)

Stitching Lady said...

Margaret, I am so astonished how busy you were. Your blocks look very nice. I am glad you mentioned your blog.